Construction: Worksite Guidelines
Arrival and Departure - To make the most of your volunteer experience with us, we ask that you adhere to the following:
- Worksite hours are 8:00 AM-4:00 PM: Please plan on arriving at the worksite at least 15 minutes early for a safety briefing and orientation. There is a lunch break around noon for about an hour. Lunch is not provided unless your group has arranged for it.
- If you can only work half a day, plan to arrive 15 minutes before the start of the shift so that you have time for a safety briefing, orientation and training. The morning shift runs 8:00 AM to Noon and the afternoon shift runs 1:00 PM - 4:00 PM.
- The workday usually ends at 4:00 PM after a clean-up period. Any tools you have used must be cleaned and put away.
We welcome anyone who wants to help build simple, decent, affordable housing "for all of God's people in need." You'll find general information about what to expect at a worksite on this page.
PLEASE REMEMBER YOU MUST BE AT LEAST SIXTEEN YEARS OLD TO WORK ON-SITE!
FOR FIRST-TIME VOLUNTEERS REGISTERING TO WORK VIA THE CONSTRUCTION CALENDAR, FIRST PLEASE COMPLETE THE VOLUNTEER INFORMATION & SKILLS FORM.
Groups wanting to work can sign up by visiting our Construction Calendar. The number of volunteers needed varies depending on the work going on. When this number is reached on the construction calendar, no other volunteers can sign up. We would like to properly acknowledge all volunteers on that work on-site, so please have all of the volunteers from you group sign up as a volunteer on our "Information and Skills Form".
Individuals are welcome to come out and work on Wednesday through Saturday. If a group is already scheduled for a Saturday there may not be room for an individual. Please check the Construction Calendar.
Clothing and Tools
Wear hard-soled shoes (no open toes), long pants, clothing appropriate to the weather and NO DANGLING JEWELRY. If you have them, bring pencil, hammer, measuring tool, work gloves, safety glasses, hard hat, sunscreen and a water bottle (be sure to mark your name on all of your tools, etc.).
- All volunteers working at the work site or in ReStore MUST review the Volunteer Safety Manual and sign the back of the Waiver stating you've reviewed it. Also available is an online safety training course you might be interested in reviewing.
- Minimum age is 16. Volunteers 16-18 must have a signed parental waiver on file.
- All workers must sign a Waiver of Liability and Volunteer Safety Manual acknowledgement. If you are a group leader, have each member of your group print and sign the Waiver.
- Be considerate of the diversity of our volunteers; be mindful of language and behavior.
- No music, tobacco products or horseplay.
- No trash or mess left at the site.