Frequently Asked Questions
How do I apply?
- Follow this link, for all of the information and forms you will need to fill out in order to apply.
- Call the Habitat Office at 814-353-2390 to request an application or stop by at 1155 Zion Rd. Bellefonte.
Must I own my home?
- Yes- you must own your home and be current on your mortgage payment and your home owners insurance.
What type of work can be done?
- A Brush with Kindness is strictly an exterior home maintenance and repair program. Examples of work that can be done on your home are; repair of porches, yard work, pruning of trees, minor roof repair, exterior painting, minor window repair- screen, glazing etc. This is not a complete list of projects. This is not an emergency repair program!
What is the cost for repairs?
- You will be required to repay the cost of the materials used on the project. Labor costs will be provided free of charge by Habitat for Humanity of Greater Centre County volunteers. Each project will be assessed by volunteers to determine the costs. You will know these costs before any work starts.
How long must I wait for the work to be done?
- Because A Brush with Kindness utilizes volunteers to do the work the length of time to get the work is done is dependent on the availability of volunteers as well as the number of volunteers available.
Must I be home when the work is being done?
- Yes- anyone living in the house , age 16 or over, is expected to help the volunteers doing the work, only if you are able. We will not ask you to do any work you are not able to do.
Who qualifies for this program?
- You must own and occupy a home that needs and could benefit from short-term exterior improvements
- You must meet the income guidelines outlined here.
- You must be willing to partner with Habitat for Humanity of Greater Centre County.
- You must be able to afford necessary home improvements and unable to complete them otherwise due to age, disability, or circumstances.
- You must be current on your mortgage payment, and your homeowners insurance, and not delinquent on your taxes.
Do I need to pay up front?
- Home owners that wish to make payment in full at time of completion of the project will receive a 10% discount on the price.
- Habitat for Humanity will work with you on repayment plan depending on the cost of the material and your income.
- If you are unable to make full payment at time of completion the minimum monthly payment will be $25.
- Home owners that utilize automatic withdrawal for their payment will have their payment reduced by 5%.
How much money can I borrow?
- At this time the cost of projects will be capped at $2,500.
Is there a waiting list?
- No- there is no waiting list; however, because A Brush with Kindness utilizes volunteers we will get your project completed as quickly as we can depending on the number of volunteers available and the availability of the volunteers. This is not an emergency repair program.
Will this program ever cover interior repairs?
- At this time no. This program is strictly for exterior home maintenance/repairs, unless interior repairs are tied to work on the exterior.
- We can not provide help for plumbing, electrical etc.